Creating an inclusive travel experience for the AAPI Community
May is National Asian American Pacific Heritage Month (AAPI) in the United States.
The AAPI community is one of the fastest-growing demographic groups in the U.S.; with a population of over 23 million, it represents untapped potential for DMOs. According to Forbes, by 2024, AAPI’s buying power will reach $1.6 trillion.
The AAPI-American travel market includes leisure and business travel and encompasses diverse ethnicities and nationalities. The issue at large is the underrepresentation of members of the AAPI community within the travel marketing industry.
This is not only true for minority groups: 71% of consumers also prefer buying from companies aligned with their values, and 64% of consumers worldwide will buy or boycott a brand solely because of its position on a social or political issue. Growing your marketing strategy to focus on inclusivity will increase your audience engagement.
Understanding the AAPI Community
The AAPI community is very diverse, with more than 100 languages and nearly 50 ethnic subgroups that differ in language, culture, and socioeconomic status. Within the United States, the AAPI community has faced and continues to face many challenges and barriers, such as discrimination, racism, violence, stereotypes, invisibility, and lack of representation.
After the Covid-19 pandemic, the number of anti-Asian hate crimes in the U.S. increased. More than 6,600 incidents of anti-Asian hate were reported between March 2020 and March 2021, according to Stop AAPI Hate. Ignoring the diversity of this group of people places DMOs at a disadvantage in targeting them successfully.
Personalizing the travel experience for the AAPI community through targeted marketing strategies could make them loyal customers. Brands that target minorities can market to more niche groups, build effective inclusive marketing campaigns, and reach a wider audience.
Targeting the AAPI community through marketing:
- Understand the diversity and complexity of the AAPI community. The AAPI community is not a monolithic group but a collection of diverse cultures, languages, histories, and preferences.
- Increase representation and visibility. The AAPI community is often underrepresented or misrepresented in travel marketing materials, making them feel unwelcome or invisible.
- Respect and acknowledge the culture and identity of the AAPI community by avoiding cultural appropriation or insensitive jokes and instead celebrate and honor the cultural heritage and traditions of the AAPI community.
- Provide relevant and valuable information. Travel marketing agencies should provide accurate and updated information on travel safety, health protocols, visa requirements, destination guides, etc.
- Partnern with AAPI influencers and brands, allowing them to use their voice and insight to create a more inclusive Travel Marketing Campaign.
At Hylink, we understand that the travel industry is constantly evolving, and we believe diversity is critical to creating successful and impactful campaigns. Our team of experts can provide valuable insights into the AAPI market, including their travel habits, preferences, and behaviors. We can help you tailor your messaging, creative, and media to reach this audience and drive engagement and conversions effectively. We’re passionate about helping our clients succeed in the travel industry, and we’re confident that we can help you create a campaign that delivers results.