Hainan duty-free celebrates first anniversary in Sanya
December 2021 marked one year since Hainan entered the booming offshore duty free market, Hainan Tourism Duty Free Shopping Complex (HTDF). The Moodie Davitt Report was and is still able to give us a play-by-play of everything Hainan duty free.
For those not able to experience HTDF, the report painted a picture of the 30,000 sq m retail space that engulfed five floorsands. This featured 278 brands, some of which are new to Hainan i.e. Diptyque, Byredo, Gucci Makeup and more, and product categories including perfumes & cosmetics, fashion & accessories, watches & jewellery, wine & spirits, confectionery & fine food and toys.
The Moodie Davitt Report has curated 9 highlights that the world should take note of:
1. February 2021 – HTDF joined forces with China’s largest independent digital agency Hylink in a wide-ranging promotional partnership.
2. April 2021 – Japanese consumer goods company Kao Corporation introduced its prestige cosmetics brands Sensai and est to the duty free market in China.
3. May 2021 – 10 May was a red-letter day for HTDF and Lagardère Travel Retail as they celebrated the official opening of 14 L’Oréal brand zones, including Lancôme, Kiehl’s, Helena Rubinstein, Yves Saint Laurent and Shu Uemura.
4. June 2021 – 13 June was one of the biggest days yet for HTDF as the travel retailer formally opened the TimeVallée luxury watch boutique concept at its Sanya store, featuring eight leading luxury watch brands.
5. July 2021 – Another big moment for HTDF as LVMH beauty brand Fresh unveiled its debut counter.
6. August 2021 – Hainan Laox Supply Chain Management Co – a new subsidiary of HTDF – was inaugurated at a signing ceremony on 5 August.
7. September 2021 – LVMH-owned fashion and beauty house Kenzo opened a dazzling Kenzoki Skincare pop-up at HTDF on 15 September.
8. October 2021 – HTDF Chairman of the Board, Xie Zhiyong, spoke to The Moodie Davitt Report Chairman Martin Moodie about the company’s record to date at HTDF and its plans for the future.
9. December 2021 – HTDF has introduced several new big-name brands, including Furla, Tory Burch and Chow Tai Fook. Here are some pictorial highlights.
Read the full Moodie Davitt Report here.